Meade 2" Diagonal Fix;
iPhone 5s: Nearly Full Moon
Posted: 16 March 2014
Opened: Saturday, 15 March 2014, 1826 MST
Conditions: Breezy; dusty skies from daytime wind
After stepping inside the observatory I noticed a wasp inside. First time in over 4 years of use that I've seen a wasp inside the POD. That had to be dealt with first thing! I opened the dome and a few minutes later the wasp flew away. Whew! But have to wonder if it will return.
1836 MST: viewed Jupiter, 83X and 222X. Three moons were visible, but seeing was not very good.
While waiting for the nearly full moon to rise over the hill to the east, I decided to check my accessories to see if any had a screw that would fit the replacement Meade 2" 99% Reflectivity diagonal that I received a few days ago but that had a bent screw. I discovered that the screw on the Meade Series 5000 1.25" 3X TeleXtender was an exact match for the screw on the 2" diagonal. I mounted the Meade diagonal on the 8" LX200-ACF and was able to use it. I am still waiting on a replacement screw from Meade.
1849 MST: moon now above the hill to the east. At 1853 MST, viewed the moon, 83X, using one of the filters from the Zhumell 2" Variable Polarizing Filter as a moon filter. The moon was currently too low for good viewing however.
While waiting for the moon to rise higher, I did some software testing. Testing was completed at 1926 MST.
1927 MST: resumed lunar observing, 83X + filter. A slight terminator was visible on the moon, less than 24 hours before Full. But the moon was still too low for good viewing; just too much atmospheric turbulence.
1943 MST: breezes gone, but seeing still not good. 2003 MST: seeing not improving. Decided to take this handheld iPhone 5s photo of the moon, afocal 83X, no filter:
Then began closing up.
Closed: Saturday, 15 March 2014, 2019 MST
Comments are welcome using Email. If you are on Twitter you can use the button below to tweet this report to your followers. Thanks.
Cassiopeia Observatory Home Page