Last updated: 30 September 2007
Subject: Toucam II Pro Focal Reducer Tests with ETX 105 Sent: Monday, July 2, 2007 10:13:20 From: PETER SMITH (firstname.lastname@example.org) thought people might be interested in some terrestrial test images of a 1.25" 0.5X Focal Reducer that is available from www.teleskop-service.de. I also purchased a UV/IR Filter and a 1.25" Extension Tube from the same company. The test target is an automatic light sensor on top of a street light about 50 yards away from the ETX105. As soon as wee get any decent weather I will try some lunar imaging. Hopefully the filenames are self explanatory. Regards, Peter Smith
Subject: 0.5X Focal Reducer and extension tube update Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2007 09:25:59 From: PETER SMITH (email@example.com) This is an update to a post which you have previously posted in the equipment review section of your site it provides additional information to that in the original e-mail The Focal Reducer CANNOT be used at the same time as it's extension tube with the ETX105 as it is impossible to achieved focus on "astro" objects indeed there are sometimes issues when using the focal reducer with filters (UV/IR block) as focus cannot be achieved the CCD is beyond the back focus point of the ETX105. Regards, Peter Smith (UK)
Subject: Philips Toucam II pro + TS 0.5X focal reducer moon mosaic Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 12:08:50 From: PETER SMITH (firstname.lastname@example.org) Took the scope out on a rather windy and cold night to image the "harvest moon"...had to grab the first cloud free night for a while. The toucam II Pro was fited with the TS 0.5X focal reducer and attached to the ETX 105 EC. The philips video lounge aplication was used to capture 300 frame sequences of various areas of the full "harvest" moon disk in a zig-zag pattern. The resulting files were processed in Registrax4 - some sequences only allowed 4 frames to be stacked the wind was that bad!. No wavelet optimisation was used and the images saved as bmp's which were stitched roughly using CS3. Only the roughest attempts at alignment and brightness contrast equalistaion were applied to keep the "mosaic" effect...Due to the realtively low quyality of the images that resulted from the poor conditions i didn't see the point in spending more time on the stitching... The attached file is the result (low res) of a very quick stitch of the resulting images. A higher res version is here... www.btinternet.com/~psmithuk/AstroPhotos/moon_mosaic_26-09-07.jpg that one still has the samll missing segmnent which was missed as the result of a corrupted AVI file....aarrrgghhhhh. Saying that I did have to use Solveig Multimedia AVITrimmer to remove some frames from the avi's which were causing registrax to crash! The full moon made imaging anything else pointless did have a quick look at M57 with the DSI through the ETX105 and also did some more imaging witht he DSI on SLR lenses with the dew heaters for trials... The DIY dew heaters did have their first test and performed OK...have made a permenant front dew heater now which has 2 belts of 1.5m of the wire and a switch box which allows them to either one element or the two elements in parallel to be used...also made a velcro dew heater strap for use on eyepieces... Regards, Peter Smith (UK) p.s. the weather conditions are now back to normal - overcast :(
Go back to the ETX Home Page.