Last updated: 3 May 2005
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:42:28 From: User721401@aol.com (User721401@aol.com) Well after a month of phone calls and reading, I think the ETX 125 PE is about to work...I got the new smartfinder / LNT in the mail today. It took maybe a week to get. I installed in about 5 minutes..I have attached pictures of the installation. I installed the new module, ran a reset, and reprogrammed location, date, and time...I ran an alignment from inside the house and it appears to have pointed in the correct area of the alignment stars (cappella and rigel). Although it still pointed south when it calculated north....I guess the ultimate test will come on the next good viewing night and I am home..Also the smartfinder works, I got the illusive red dot.. Below are the steps to the new Smartfinder installation: First you may notice something different on the new smartfinder; Their is no silver locking mechanism on the new one as on the original.. 1. Find an allan wrench to remove the screw on the left side of the telescope as pictured 2. Carefully remove the old smartfinder. The reason it needs to be done carefully is because the wires are taped to the unit. Removing the tape from the wires will allow easier movement of the unit. 3. Unplug the old unit by pulling at the white attachment..It may take a little "muscle" but nothing bad at all. 4. Take the new unit and plug it in..I think there is only one way to put it in, so it is rather simple. 5. I did not replace the tape on the wires, I just made sure they were not in the way while I replaced the unit to the top of the scope. 6. Replace the screw with the allan wrench. 7. As you can see the red light worked on the back side of the unit.. 8. The lens was put into the unit just like the original, except no locking mechanism.
Return to the top of this page.
Go back to the Tech Tips page.
Go back to the ETX Home Page.