Last updated: 8 June 2002
From: email@example.com (Tony Miles)
I just wanted to drop you a line to say thanks for putting up what has to be in my opinion the best ETX website on the Internet.....
Anyhows, I wanted to share my cheap alternative to a homemade dewshield....it basically is the same as Michel's from Belgium, the one you posted the other day, the only difference is the materials are easier to obtain....
Here is the finished product on my ETX90....
This can easily be done with an ETX125. I'm sure someone else with a little more creativity and materials could make this dewshield with Velcro attached to the edge of the foam so that it be stored flat in a case when not in use.
Now, if I could only get lucky enough to have a night of clear skies. The skies over Atlanta, GA have been cloudy for the past few weeks it seems.
Subject: Additional info for homemade dew cap Sent: Sunday, June 2, 2002 12:25:13 From: firstname.lastname@example.org I would just like to add to the homemade dew cap articles. I could not find the "Funky Foam" that Tony Miles mentioned in his article, but I found a foam just like it at Michaels - The Arts and Crafts Store. Since these stores are found throughout the U.S., I thought it might be useful for others to know. The foam is called "Flexi-Foam", it measures 12" x 18", it costs 79 cents a sheet, and it is made by Fibre-Craft Materials Corp (www.fibrecraft.com). In addition, the store sells Craft Foam Glue by Beacon that really bonds the foam well. I made a dew cap with these materials yesterday (for ETX-90EC) and it turned out great. BTW, you have a great site. Thanks for allowing my input. Brian Huntsman
Subject: ...and more regarding a dewshield... Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2002 12:25:59 From: email@example.com (Stan Glaser) In regard to the latest post from Brian Huntsman and a previous post by Tony Miles, I too made a dewshield about a year ago out of the same "Flexi-Foam" material that I purchased at our local Michael's - The Arts and Crafts Store, and I DID add velcro as Tony had suggested. I hadn't thought much about the adhesive required when I first started, and I found it very easy to glue the Flexi-Foam to itself just using regular contact cement. But gluing the velcro tabs on to the Foam proved harder, particularly when I tried to remove the shield by undoing the velcro -- basically the velcro tabs just came unglued off of the Foam (boy, velcro sure holds tight to itself -- no wonder NASA invented the stuff!) I then tried Elmer's white glue, and that was a little better, but it still failed. I ended up trying the glue that Brian mentioned, CraftFoam Glue by Beacon (should have used that from the start!), and so far everything seems to hold together very well (over a year now), even after numerous closings and openings when I need to pack the scope away for traveling. I've attached a couple of quick photos to show the setup. I happened to have the small square velcro tabs laying around from a previous project, so I ended up using 5 of them. A long strip would work just as well, although I think it's easier to undo them when there's that small gap between each piece. Stan Glaser firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to the top of this page.
Go back to the Tech Tips page.
Go back to the ETX Home Page.